Saturday, 8 October 2011

Scoops Reports 2011 - 8 October 2011 Garlieston

Wigtowshire Ramblers 8 October 2011 Garlieston

Sixteen ramblers including two potential new members, Peter and Marie, who moved from Wiltshire to Newton Stewart, met at the village hall in Garlieston on Saturday for an eight-mile linear walk to Innerwell Port and back.  This walk is part of the core paths network that local councils have compiled and copies can be accessed via the Ewart Library.  Cath, Thomas, Frances, Marilyn, Rachel, Peter and Marie, both Marys, Jim, Paul, Ken, Audrey, Jack, Duncan and Irene met near the village hall in Garlieston.
Beside the hall on our way to the beach a commemorate slab of granite stands denoting the 50th anniversary of the end of World War II 1945-95 where the building and trials of sections of the ’Mulberry Harbour 1941-44’ at Garlieston took place thus making the invasion of Europe possible and an allied victory a reality.

As we headed north via tracks and fields from the little port of Garlieston in the quiet calm of the morning, it was inconceivable to think in addition to the activities pertaining to the war effort that Garlieston was also once a busy stop on the Galloway to Glasgow to Liverpool shipping route.
Veering east towards Eggerness Point the path circumnavigates a field towards a gate into the woods where views across Wigtown were hazy but, looking down to the craggy coastline past Browns Hole to Port Wapple, we could see what is marked on the map as war remains.  A detour was made to the shoreline where three concrete floating pontoons ‘code named’ Beetles were identified as part of the floating harbours, which had other peculiar names such as Hippos and Whales.
Returning to the path through the woods the mild weather had enticed ‘the midge’ to make a late appearance but as we drew nearer to the coast again they disappeared.  It was fairly boring, following one another in single file along a very muddy track and conversation was difficult.  The remains of a promontory fort were observed on the headland just before Port McGean and several trees had been blown over the path by the recent strong winds.
On passing Jutlock Point the path descends towards Innerwell Port where lunch was taken on the beach.  Our chatter coming through the woods had attracted the lady of the beautiful stone house at Innerwell, who came out to greet us and was very informative about the ice house and its connection to the Fishery that used to be there. We stopped for lunch on the beach where we were bothered a bit by flies but they weren't too bad.
A seal also gave us a curious glance from the bay and our return journey through the woods was interrupted only by two men and their dogs.  A fine drizzle had started by the time we reached Garlieston but what a perfect day for a coastal and woodland walk.
There was nowhere in Garlieston for all of us to go for drinks so our car load – Cath, Thomas, Rachel, Marilyn and I - travelled to Glenluce where we had tea/coffee and cakes in the golf club.  I ate a WHOLE piece of almond slice which was wonderful.

No comments: